- similar size
- (sometimes) more mouse-like features
- amazing, and cute pets
- they have a similar pose when checking for strange smells or noises (pictured above)
- their diet is similar
but, there are a number of notable differences, like these...
- the obvious... gerbils have tails. Chinese hamsters sometimes have minor tails, but nothing like those of gerbils.
- Syrian hamsters are solitary, while gerbils can live in small family groups
- the physique of a gerbil is more streamlined, often a slimmer body
- the face of a gerbil is often more tapered
- some say that gerbils are more active than hamsters, I can't be a great judge of that being a gerbil-less hamster person, but I would say they seem that way to me.
- the biting issue... hamsters are notorious biters, and Rory used to nip occasionally-- whereas gerbils are said to bite less. again, I'm not a good judge.
P.S. Sorry for the short posts! I'm kind of scrambling to keep getting these in, but tomorrow I'll have my first Sunday break, so I'll have longer ones hopefully.