aBowman Hamster Gadget. It follows your cursor. Click to feed!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Gerbils-- taking a look at some close hamster relatives

The two are mixed up so often, I just had to do a post about these hamster relatives. So, here's the scoop on gerbils.

via here
it's easy to see why people get confused, here are some similarities between gerbils and hamsters

  • similar size
  • furry
  • (sometimes) more mouse-like features
  • amazing, and cute pets
  • they have a similar pose when checking for strange smells or noises (pictured above)
  • their diet is similar
via here

but, there are a number of notable differences, like these...
  • the obvious... gerbils have tails. Chinese hamsters sometimes have minor tails, but nothing like those of gerbils.
  • Syrian hamsters are solitary, while gerbils can live in small family groups
  • the physique of a gerbil is more streamlined, often a slimmer body
  • the face of a gerbil is often more tapered
  • some say that gerbils are more active than hamsters, I can't be a great judge of that being a gerbil-less hamster person, but I would say they seem that way to me.
  • the biting issue... hamsters are notorious biters, and Rory used to nip occasionally-- whereas gerbils are said to bite less. again, I'm not a good judge. 


Photobucket
P.S. Sorry for the short posts! I'm kind of scrambling to keep getting these in, but tomorrow I'll have my first Sunday break, so I'll have longer ones hopefully.

4 comments:

  1. I think gerbils are more active... but they are way too active for me. Plus I can't get past the tail thing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hamsters too! I think this is a great subject for a blog. I never knew what the differences between gerbils and hamsters were, and now I know! Thank you! jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z challenge. Lovely post...good luck with the challenge. I'm a new follower!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter used to have a hamster named Buddy. He got loose a couple times -- funny little critter. Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete

I blog for comments and followers! Keep me blogging: follow and comment!